Volume 116 Issue 4 Winter 2001
- Islam and Sexual Apartheid
- There can be no compromise on the universality of human rights. And cultural relativism both compromises women's rights and justifies sexual apartheid.
- Time to stand up
- Stop respecting religion and start submitting it to the same scutiny as any other idea or argument, said Richard Dawkins, just months after 9/11
- Technology & Terror
- Techno terrorism? Chemical warfare? Be afraid, be very afraid?
- Bring back that human feeling
- After Manhattan what we need is a sense of human community not promises of eternal bliss or the temptations of rampant materialism.
- Letter Inciting Religious Hatred
- In response to the post- September 11th move to introduce a law preventing "incitement to religious hatred" Peter Atkins took Blunkett by the horns.
- Religious Hate = Thought Crime
- Jennie Bristow has has no time for pic 'n' mix liberterians. And the non-reaction to the Incitement to Religious Hatred Bill is a prime example.
- The World After Manhattan
- Hazhir Teimourian asks what will happen to East-West relations after September 11 2001.
- Liberal Muslims?
- Does Islam allow for liberalism? Marilyn Mason considers the lives of liberal Muslims.
- Humanist Web
- Islam online
- Cosmopolitan Emotions?
- When disaster falls or tragedy strikes, what are the borders of our emotions and our compassion?
- Dissent in the House
- Were our elected representatives speaking with one voice post-September 11th? No, dissent was still to be heard.
- Weapons of Civilisation
- There's only one really effective weapon in the war against terrorism. And that's the principles of Enlightenment civilisation, says Sanal Edamaruku
- Rationalism a la mode
- It takes all sorts. From Fruit 'n' Veg horoscopes to the horror of a mother armed and willing to use the Holy Water... Dr Shirl takes them on...
- What's Wrong With Terrorism?
- In this article, chair of the Humanist Philosophers' Group, Richard Norman, scrutinises definitions of terrorism.
- Straw Dogs
- Let loose the dogs of war? Noam Chomsky replies in an interview with Svetlana Vukovic.
- Islam and Intellectual Terrorism
- Turbans of the mind are disallowing and disavowing proper intellectual engagement with Islam.
- Islam and Armageddon
- What are the central tenets of Islam?
- The New American Theocracy
- The land of the free is becoming the land of the religious right and the reaction to the World Trade Center attacks proves the point, says Paul Kurtz.